Weekend DIY: Modernizing our Dining Room with Chair Rails

Just a quick note about the Kombucha scoby I ordered online: After a few short days and following all of the instructions (it didn’t look like it was doing well) it grew mold. Yep, the entire batch in the trash. Luckily, my colleague’s husband has a scoby to give me in the next few days and I feel more confident his will be a healthy scoby than the one online. I removed the links to the one I bought, just so no one else ends up with the same sad story!

Since we’ve moved in three and a half years ago, many projects have jumped ahead of this one. We have wanted to update our dining room for some time now, but really it wasn’t a “need” it was more of a want. So, we wrote down all the measurements last summer, came up with a plan, and then put it away after deciding not to spend the $500 to remake the area.

This was a difficult decision, as I wanted it done, but I also had a 1 1/2 year old I couldn’t fathom trying to keep out of the mess the entire time.

Finally, last weekend, it was raining and I told Chris as he sat there looking like he needed something to do, “Let’s do the dining room.” And so, we did.

At first, I was hesitant to have him start ripping out molding. Gah, how long would this take? Could we really get it done this weekend? I don’t want a mess to deal with all week on my own with the kids. Chris assured me, he could get it done outside of the final painting.

Okay, go.

Ripped out the molding, made the plan, and he picked up the materials and set to work.

Monkey had a good time helping him with some measurements and also vacuuming up the dust and dirt. This boy loves himself a good vacuum job!

Then, after two long days of somewhat keeping the kids at bay while Chris worked continually, we finally had nice walls with chair railings and boxed molding. I don’t even know what this is called, do you?

This is what I looked like the entire day on Sunday. Crab knew I needed “ear covers” so I could not go batty. He used them when Monkey vacuumed up the dust. I originally bought them for Chris when he cuts wood outside.

With the nail gun going, the kids yelling and running around, and Ruby never relenting on barking at Chris when he used the nail gun, I just needed a “quieter” place, but still had to make lunches, dinners, and take care of the kiddos. These make for a good quiet space anywhere in the house.

I’m very proud of Chris on this project. We went over the math for the boxes so many times last summer to make it work, and even then it had to change due to the wall outlets we didn’t account for. He was able to figure out the math on his own (sometimes he struggles with abstract numbers) and made the boxes work throughout the room and all relatively look equal. It came out fantastic!

The total cost was around $300, but Chris had originally pushed it up to $500 last summer because he had different molding ideas for the base trim. I’m glad we waited, as I like the molding we ended up going with on the base as well as around the sliding door frame.

Now that the majority of the work is done, we just need to select new paint colors for the room. I’m on the fence between some ideas, but we’ll be painting next weekend to finish off the room. I will share some updated photos of the finished project when it’s all complete!

You may also like...

2 Responses

  1. Mr. Groovy says:

    Very nice. Chris did an excellent job. And those floors are beautiful too.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *